Sunday, November 14, 2010

The benefits of reflecting with a child

I went to a school last week and met a 4 year old boy who was sitting on the couch in the office. I asked him what we was doing there. He frowned and shook his head. "I'm in time out."

Here is the rest of our conversation:

Me: What? You? Why?

Him: (still frowning) I don't know.

Me: (still shocked) Was there an al-ter-ca-tion?

Him: (thinks for a moment) Yes. Yes there was.

Me: Did someone get hurt?

Him: Yes! Someone did! I hit ____.

Me: Oh....

Him: But she hit me first!

Me: Ah, I see. Wow.

Him: I know....

(Both of us are quiet for a moment.)

Me: So, if someone hits you again, what do you think you can do?

Him: (sighs heavily) I'm gonna tell Miss ___ next time.

Me: Good idea. Then you will probably get to stay in your classroom. Don't you think it would be more fun to be in your class rather than out here?

Him: (thinks for a moment) Well, if I'm talking to YOU out here, that's better than being in my class!


It was a great day... :)

No comments: